Learn how to make the perfect Peposo, Brunelleschi’s favourite. Don’t be scared off by the amount of pepper in this recipe, the peppery aroma will permeate the kitchen and the diners’ soul.
Time: 1 hour 30 mins Serves: 4
- 600 g beef shank, cut into large chunks
- 20 g whole black peppercorns
- 500 ml red wine (Chianti, of course)
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
Heat 3-4 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan and saute the finely chopped carrot, celery and onion. Add the beef cubes, the peppercorns and season with salt. Cook for 20 mins. Then cover with Chianti wine, reduce the heat, put a lid on and cook for about an hour, until the meat is soft.
You can serve Il Peposo with croutons or polenta, and accompany it with a glass of Tuscan red wine. Buon appetito!